Advertisement

Fly Fishing Montana's Small Mountain Streams and Catching Lots of Trout!

Fly Fishing Montana's Small Mountain Streams and Catching Lots of Trout! My favorite small mountain stream near Red Lodge, Montana; the West Fork of Rock Creek. I usually have this creek to myself, especially if I go during the week. Mid August is a great time as I can use dry flies exclusively while wet wading... no hip or chest waders to deal with. Parachute Adams, hopper patterns, stimulaters all work because there are so many terrestrials present during these warm months.
Lots of deadfall, undercut banks for trout to hide. I can spend all day fishing a half mile section of this creek and easily catch and release 50 trout; mostly brook trout in the 6"- 10" range. There are lots of rainbows here, and they tend to be larger. I would rather catch 50+ of these little guys than spend 8 hours trying to catch three lunkers on the Bighorn. I did catch a 14" Yellowstone Cutthroat here ONCE last year. The most beautiful trout I've ever caught.

Fly fishing Montana,johnny o,red lodge,mountain stream fishing,fly fishing,johnny ostrom,west fork of rock creek,rock creek,dry fly fishing,johnny o llc,johnnyollc.com,somewhereinmt.com,

Post a Comment

0 Comments